Lot 93Fort Ellsworth, Kan., Dec 12, clear cds on cover to Fort Riley, Ks., franked with 1861, 3¢ rose (s.e. and flaws) canceled by matching target handstamp, 1866 docketing at left, Very Fine.
Scott No. 65 Estimate $150 - 200.
This fort was established in 1864 to protect nearby military roads. The post office was not established until January 4, 1866. In December 1866, the name was changed to Fort Harker.
Lot 94Fort Harker, Kan., Sep 24, receiving cds on incoming cover franked with 1861, 3¢ rose (corner nick) tied by target handstamps and partial origin cds, forwarded to Fort Wallace with additional Fort Harker cds of Oct 9th, and forwarded again to Fort Larned; cover reduced at right and light soiling, F.-V.F.
Scott No. 65 Estimate $150 - 200.
Lot 95Fort Lincoln, Apr 16, manuscript postmark on red and blue Eagle & Shield patriotic cover to Rockville, Ind., franked with manuscript canceled 1861, 3¢ pink; cover with repaired corner nick at top left and reduced at right, stamp with a few short perfs, F.-V.F.
Scott No. 64 Estimate $100 - 150.
Established November 25, 1861 for the protection against the Confederates, it was abandoned in 1864. It was located 12 miles northwest of Ft. Leavenworth.
Lot 96Fort Riley, K.T., Nov 8, balloon type cds tying 1851, 1¢ blue, type IV, horizontal strip of three on cover to the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, Pa., with original 1856 enclosure with news clipping, Very Fine.
Scott No. 9 Estimate $400 - 600.
Lot 97Fort Riley, K.T., May 17, bold balloon cds canceling on 1853, 3¢ Nesbitt entire to the Governor of Kansas Territory - John Denver in Lecompton, with original 1858 enclosure regarding the new town "Junction City" being surveyed out near to Fort Riley, Very Fine.
Estimate $100 - 150.
Built in 1853, Ft. Riley was located about 120 miles west of Ft. Leavenworth. It had a Post Office beginning December 20, 1855.
Lot 98Ft. Riley, Ks., Dec 16, manuscript postmark cancelling 1861, 3¢ rose on cover to Petersham, Mass.; stamp with a few minor perf flaws, Very Fine.
Scott No. 65 Estimate $100 - 150.
Ft. Riley was an Army School for cavalry. It was located about 10 miles west of Ft. Leavenworth and also directly on the old Butterfield Overland Route.
Lot 99Fort Scott, K.T., Sep 29, balloon type cds tying 1857, 3¢ dull red on cover to Glen Cove, N.Y., Very Fine.
Scott No. 26 Estimate $75 - 100.
Fort Scott was designed to protect the military road between Fort Gibson, Indian Territory and Fort Leavenworth.
Lot 100(Missouri) Fort Leavenworth, 29 June, manuscript postmark showing the postmaster started with "C" for Cantonment before changing to "Fort", on 1832 folded letter to St. Louis, Mo., with "Paid 18¾" rate; some splitting along fold at top edge, still Very Fine.
Estimate $750 - 1,000.
THE EARLIEST OF ONLY THREE RECORDED "FORT LEAVENWORTH" POSTMARK USAGES IN PRIVATE HANDS PRIOR TO THE POST OFFICE NAME CHANGE IN 1839.
Cantonment Leavenworth, which was located alongside of the Mississippi River, was established in 1827. It would become and eastern terminus for the Oregon Trail as well as the Santa Fe Trail. This was the first of the great western forts as it contained the westernmost post office.
Cantonment Leavenworth was redesignated "Fort Leavenworth" on February 8th 1832 by War Department General Order No. 11; however, the Post Office Department continued the use of the word "Cantonment" until 1839. Consequently, the postmaster was technically required to continue the use of the word "Cantonment" until the POD rule was changed. The cover here and two others in 1835 carried to Washington under the free frank of the Iowa Territorial delegate to Congress are the few exception in the time period.
Lot 101(Missouri) Jefferson Barracks, Mo., Sep 19, sharp strike of cds on fresh 1848 folded letter to Washington D.C., with matching "Free" handstamp and manuscript "On Official Business" endorsement, sent by Major Stephen Kearny confirming his commission as Brevit Major General, Very Fine and choice.
Estimate $300 - 400.