Lot 79(Missouri) "Herculaneum, Augst 13", manuscript postmark at left and matching "50" rating on 1814 folded letter to Harrodsburgh, Ky. containing court deposition acknowledged and signed by William Clark, "Governor of the territory of Missouri, commander in chief of the militia thereof & superintendent of Indian Affairs" and is attested by Frederick Bates, Territorial Secretary and later Governor; some minor staining and reinforcing, F.-V.F., This is the earliest recorded use from Herculaneum.
Estimate $2,000 - 3,000.
A RARE WILLIAM CLARK AUTOGRAPH AS TERRITORIAL GOVERNOR OF MISSOURI.
Herculaneum is located midway between Saint Louis and Ste. Genevieve, on the Mississippi River. It was laid out by Moses Austin and Samuel Hammond, being the shipping point for lead from mines in Washington County. The post office was established on 1 October 1811.
William Clark (1770-1838) was an American explorer, soldier, Indian agent, and territorial governor best known as one of the leaders of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. A native of Virginia, he grew up in pre-statehood Kentucky before later settling in what became the state of Missouri. Serving with Meriwether Lewis, they led the first American overland expedition across the Louisiana Purchase to the Pacific Coast and back, leaving from Pittsburgh on August 31, 1803, and returning to St. Louis on September 23, 1806. They claimed the Pacific Northwest for the United States. Before the expedition, he served in a militia and the United States Army. In 1809 Clark was appointed brigadier general of the militia, superintendent of Indian Affairs in the Louisiana Territory, and Governor of the Missouri Territory in 1813. During the War of 1812, he led military campaigns and established the first post in what is now Wisconsin. After the war he returned to his position as Superintendent of Indian Affairs until his death in 1838.