Lot 6Forwarded by Makee Anthon & Co., Sandwich Islands, red forwarders oval handstamp on reverse of light buff 1850 cover from the Lathrop correspondence Hawaii to Oswego N.Y., light red "San Francisco '40' 20 Feb" cds, docketed as received "Apl 8/50" at top left, manuscript note "Mailed Jan. 25, 1850" on reverse; some light soiling on reverse, Very Fine.
Estimate $1,000 - 1,500.
ONE OF ONLY FIVE RECORDED STRIKES OF THE MAKEE ANTHON & CO. FORWARDERS OVAL.
James Makee arrived in Lahaina in 1843 and set up business with Eli Jones under the name Jones & Makee. Jones left in 1847 and Makee formed a partnership. Makee would later purchase the Haliimaile Plantation in East Maui with Charles Brewer II and founded the Ulupalakua Ranch. This cover is from the correspondence of American Consul Joel Turrill to Stephen H. Lathrop, his Oswego attorney who had taken custody of his daughter for her schooling.
The five recorded strikes are:
1. 1849 Nov. 20, Honolulu to Worcester Mass., ex-Golden
2. 1849 Dec. 30, Honolulu to New Bedford Mass., Gregory fig. 9-7.
3. 1850 Jan. 25, Honolulu to San Francisco Cal., ex-Advertiser, Gregory fig. 9-14.
4. 1850 Jan. 25, Hawaii to New London Conn., the cover offered here.
5. 1850 Jun., Hawaii to Bloomfield N.J. via San Francisco (7.27.1850), ex-Hollowbush, Golden.