Lot 1006Julesburgh Col T. Sep 14, black double circle datestamp and matching target cancel ties 3¢ rose (65) on 1864 orange cover to Harveyville Pa.; slightly reduced at left, Very Fine and scarce, This is from the second period of operation, 1864-1866., ex-Persson.
Estimate $400 - 600.
During the territorial period alone, the Julesburgh post office opened no less than six times. The first was May 29, 1860, while still Nebraska Territory, closing in September 1862. At this time it was a station on the Overland Trail and Pony Express routes. It reopened January 20, 1864, the town of Julesburgh was completely destroyed by Indians in 1865, and the sporadically operating office was renamed Fort Sedgwick May 3, 1866.